By: Joey Cam
January 27, 2010
PLEASE SHARE! :-)
When I first started to hear the rumors this month about Apple’s new tablet it caught my attention. Then I started to see mock pictures of it and possible “Apple Tablet” specifications. I got caught up in the Apple Tablet romance and really wanted one badly after seeing the first official pictures, real specifications and awesome pricing.
Here are the Apple iPad specs and reasons that made me want to purchase one so badly
* Thin and lightweight: .5″ thick and 1.5 lbs
* Built-in speakers, microphone, accelerometer and compass
* Up to 10 hours of battery life: Most notebooks give half that amount
* Compatible with all Apple store Apps: Any App that works on the iPhone will work on the iPad. Tons of Apps at your disposal from day 1.
* Great for Reading an electronic book or newspaper: It can’t get any better than this. Easily zoom in and out and switch to landscape and portrait modes by tilting the device. I am very impressed by what I saw in this video.
* Built-in WiFi via 802.11n: 802.11n is the latest and fastest wireless Internet standard around. It will give you the ability to connect to any wireless router just like any normal laptop.
* Optional 3G capability: You will have the ability to connect to the Internet from anywhere 3G access is available, just like any 3G capable cell phone
* Unlimited 3G data plan: The plan will only cost you only $30/month, there are no contracts required.
* Great, low iPad pricing: You can get an iPad with 3G capability for as little as $630. For an “Apple” brand product this is a cheap price.
These are the specifications that broke my little heart
* No multitasking: What this means is that the iPad can only do one thing at a time. If you are chatting with people on messenger you cannot listen to music. If you are listening to music you cannot check your email. It basically has the same capability as the inferior powered iPhone. What are we still in the 90s?
* No Adobe Flash support: What this means is that if you want to view YouTube or Facebook videos you are out of luck. Almost all sites that feature videos, online games, cartoons and apps on thousands, if not millions of websites REQUIRE Adobe Flash. So yet again, it has the same capability as the iPhone.
If you are looking for a cool book and news reader that is also good for checking email then this would be a great gadget for you. The rest of you should who were even half as interested as I was purchasing the iPad this morning should wait and see what the 2nd generation iPad has to offer. Hopefully by then it will add multitasking and Adobe Flash support (not to mention a camera).
If you are eager to drop $600 NOW for something similar I suggest you go one of two routes. For under $600 you can get yourself a lightweight netbook that will have a bigger screen, multitask, play Adobe Flash and last 10 hours with one battery charge. If you want something smaller with the same capabilities as most netbooks you can purchase the Nokia n900 for about $550. Correct me if I am wrong but I believe I saw this is advertised somewhere as “The World’s Smallest Computer”. Oh yeah, it also has full cell phone capabilities. There are a lot of official and unofficial features of the Nokia n900.
PLEASE SHARE! :-)