By: Joey Cam
June 17, 2009
PLEASE SHARE! 🙂
So you have decided that you want a website. Now you have to ask yourself, What will my website be about? What is the purpose of it? I strongly recommend creating a website with a subject matter you are highly knowledgeable on or very passionate about. This is something I can’t help you with. You know yourself the best, only you can make this decision.
[adblockingdetector id=”1″]To guide you in the right direction, here are five of the most popular categories that most website subjects fit under…
• Life Journal / Personal Blog: You can write about your past and/or daily life experiences
• Fan site: Are you a Super Fan of a music group, movie, TV show, famous person, video game or something else? You can write about this passion.
• Expert / How To / Help Site: Do you know a LOT about ANYTHING you can be considered an expert on? You can share your knowledge and possibly help people out in your area of expertise
• Review site: Movie, Music, Gadget, Restaurant and any other type of review site you can think of
• Business site: If you have a business or plan to start one creating a website for it is an excellent promotional idea. Think about when you are interested in a product or service don’t you look it up on the Internet?
Once you have decided upon a SUBJECT you must choose a TITLE for your website. I will use my ClearTechInfo.com site as an example. ClearTechInfo offers tutorials, help and news on computers, technology and gaming. So I choose as a TITLE for my website, “Tutorials, Help & News for Computers, Technology & Gaming”.
[adblockingdetector id=”5″]The last thing you must decide before you proceed onto the creation of your free website is choosing a Subdomain. This is very important when creating a free website on sites like WordPress.com and Blogger.com. A subdomain is the first part of a website address like, “YourWebSiteName.WordPress.com”. The “YourWebSiteName” in “YourWebSiteName.WordPress.com” is a subdomain. It is best to choose a SubDomain name with words in it that describes the Subject of your site. If the subject of your website is dedicated to the video game Halo then a good SubDomain name would be, “HaloFansUnite”. If you were creating a free website on WordPress.com then the address of your website would be “HaloFansUnite.WordPress.com”. When anyone from anywhere in the world goes on the Internet and types in, halofansunite.wordpress.com they will go straight to your website.
_____TABLE OF CONTENTS_____
1 – How-To Create a Website for Free (Series Intro)
2 – How-To Choose a Subject, Title and Subdomain for your Website
3 – How-To Create a Free Website at WordPress.com + Beginner Basics
4 – How-To Customize Your WordPress.com Website, Beginner Basics Expanded
5 – How-To Submit Your Website to Google, Yahoo and Microsoft Search Engines
Now that we have covered choosing a SUBJECT, TITLE and SUBDOMAIN for your website you can proceed to the next tutorial which will cover free registration and the basic setup of your website.
PLEASE SHARE! 🙂