By: Joey Cam
January 20, 2009
PLEASE SHARE! 🙂
I had been working for about a year with a computer company. I was given a computer to take home. It would be used to demonstrate my company’s PC hardware products. At the time it was a really nice computer with all the bells and whistles every computer gamer would want. My personal computer went down one day and was unrecoverable without purchasing some parts. I didn’t have the money for the new parts so I took the opportunity to combine the best parts of both computers and make an outstanding one.
I probably just forgot to plug something in correctly, I thought to myself. I double checked all connections and they were perfectly in place. I had no clue what was going on. After taking a break I realized that I rebuilt my work computer while I was standing on carpeted floor. I also carelessly did not use an anti-static wrist strap. My shoes slightly rubbing against the carpet created enough static electricity in my body to fatally damage a delicate computer part. I had probably transferred the static electricity to the CPU, motherboard or both. Whatever I transferred static electricity to died instantly.
Luckily the company I worked for didn’t get mad at me or anything and replaced the whole computer.
Moral of the Story: When upgrading or building a computer be sure to not do it while standing on a carpeted surface or anywhere you can be infected with static electricity. The best type of flooring to use will be a wooden or tiled floor. Also be sure to properly use an anti-static wristband for extra security.
PLEASE SHARE! 🙂